This is Post 1 of 2, the vegetarian cooking prep will be next post. I do it at the same time when I am cooking, but it was taking SOOOO long to type up I decided to split the past in half…
Overall directions, recipes follow…
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, put pot of water on stove to boil
2. Label all the bags- cooking time, date, what it is, cooking instruction, anything to add?
3. Wash all the veggies
4. Peel and cut up 6 sweet potatoes
5. Place sweet potatoes in bowl and drizzle with olive oil, garlic powder, cayenne powder, salt. Put on 2-3 trays (parchment paper if you want) and put in oven- set timer for 18 minutes. These are my snacks throughout the week. If I can keep NoOne away from them.
6. Cut the rest of the veggies then put gluten free (I think Tinkyada is the best brand) pasta in pot, it should be boiling by now (set timer for pasta)
7. Put the veggies in the bags (see recipes)- stand upright
8. Put liquids into the bags
9. Add veggie meats to the bags if you want or you can add veggie meats at cooking time since they sometimes get mushy
10. Close up all veggie bags- squish to mix, make sure they are labeled and well sealed. Freeze flat
11. Check sweet potatoes, if done, pull out to cool. If not, put back in for 5 minutes. Save pans for meatballs. Turn oven down to 350. Drain and rinse pasta if done. Put aside for spaghetti pie
12. Clean area- compost veggie trash or save for bone broth (which I have never made…)
13. Prepare meat station
14. Make the meatballs, clean the meats and prep
15. Place the meats into the bags
16. Close up all bags- squish to mix, make sure they are labeled and well sealed. Freeze flat
17. Put cooled meatballs into freezer bag, seal and freeze flat
18. Clean the area
Warning- I DO NOT MEASURE! I usually measure by handfuls of veggies so these are truly just estimates. My “recipes” are SUPER EASY so they are SUPER EASY to adjust based on whether you like things saucy (I do), whether you hate/love certain veggies. Just modify based on your needs!!!
SLOW-COOKER SAUSAGE, PEPPERS, AND ONIONS
INGREDIENTS FOR ONE BAG, I USUALLY MAKE 2 OR 3
• 2-4 cloves garlic, minced (C)
• 2 peppers cut into small chunks(C)
• 1 medium onion cut into small chunks(C)
• 1 box of POMI crushed tomatoes (V)
• 1/3 cup of Newman’s Own Organic Italian Dressing (C)
• 5 sausages- I usually use Aidells organic sausage from Costco since it has no added sugar, nitrates, or dairy. (C)
• Salt and pepper to taste (you may not need salt if your sausage and canned tomatoes are salty)
1. Cut the garlic, peppers and onions, place in bag
2. Pour tomatoes into the bag and add Italian dressing,
3. Cut the sausage into bite-sized chunks and add to bag
4. Add salt and pepper
5. Freeze flat. To cook, just dump everything into the crock pot, no need to thaw first. Cook on low for 7 hours. Since I am the only meat eater in the house, I thaw in the fridge and cook smaller portions as I need them. The whole bag will be dinner/lunch/dinner/lunch for me.
6. If not paleo, serve over rice or in a GF bread roll. If Paleo, serve over zucchini/veggie pasta, cauliflower rice, or just eat in a big bowl (which I just did)
Costco packages come as 3 packages of 5 sausages, so I usually make 3 bags of this when I get the sausages so I don’t waste anything.
TERIYAKI MEATBALLS OR CHICKEN WITH ONIONS, BELL PEPPERS AND PINEAPPLE
Sauce (in separate bag) Make 2 bags (1 for meatballs, 1 for chicken)
• 2-4 cloves garlic, minced (C)
• 1 pepper cut into small chunks(C)
• 1 medium onion cut into small chunks(C)
• 1 cup of pineapple chunks drained(C)
• 1/4 cup Organic chicken stock(C)
• ¼ cup Sesame teriyaki sauce
• You can sub fish sauce/coconut aminos/honey mixture to taste if you are strict paleo
Meatballs (in separate bag) This usually makes around 1 1/2 gallon bags
• 2 eggs(C)
• ½ onion diced small(C)
• 2 cloves garlic, minced (C)
• ¼ cup of almond flour (omit if allergic to nuts) (C)
• Spices- oregano, salt, basil, etc.
• 1 ½ lbs of ground beef or buffalo (grass fed) (C)
Chicken- do not freeze, add at cooking time
• 2 chicken breasts cut into strips (fresh, not frozen)
1. Make sure oven is still on from Sweet potatoes- turn down to 350
2. Whisk eggs in large bowl. Add onion, garlic, almond flour and spices. Add ground beef and mix thoroughly.
3. Scoop big spoonful of mixture, roll into ball and add to parchment papered baking sheet
4. Fill baking sheet, place in oven and bake for 20 minutes until browned
5. I recommend keeping the veggies and meatballs separate. This means you can be more versatile with your meatballs without committing to a sauce and the meatballs also don’t get mushy. You can make Meatball subs and Teriyaki meatballs!
6. Let meatballs cool and then freeze meatballs in bag flat. Freeze veggies flat.
7. When ready to cook, thaw both bags in the fridge overnight. Empty contents into crock-pot and cook on low 4 hours. If you would like more liquid, add ¼ cup of broth.
8. For chicken, place veggie mix in crockpot for 4 hours on low or 2 on high. Cook chicken strips in skillet until no longer pink, add to crockpot, stir, and cook for 10-15 more minutes. Check after 10 minutes.
9. You can serve over rice or cauliflower rice (Paleo)
MAPLE DIJON GLAZED CHICKEN
INGREDIENTS FOR ONE BAG, I USUALLY MAKE 1 OR 2
• 1 medium onion chunked (small)
• 3 boneless chicken breasts or 4 drumsticks(C)
• 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
• 1/8 – ¼ cup maple syrup(C) (depending on your tastes)
• 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (C)
• Salt & Pepper (optional)
1. Place onion in bag.
2. Mix sauce starting with ¼ cup mustard, 1/8 cup maple syrup and 2 Tbsps on balsamic vinegar. Add more based on your taste.
3. Place chicken in bag, add sauce, mix and close
4. When ready to eat, remove from freezer and thaw in fridge overnight.
5. Cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or HIGH for 3 hours.
6. Last 20 minutes of cooking I sometimes add zucchini and fresh tomatoes, sometimes I don’t… At this time, pull the chicken out, let it cool and take the meat off the bones. Return to the cooker. I use drumsticks sometimes instead of breasts to save money, but make sure to pull out all the bones and bone parts!
7. I usually massage kale with olive oil, place in a big bowl and then add the chicken and veggies. Or I heat and make a sammy with the end pieces of our GF bread since the boys won’t eat the ends…
LEMON PEPPER CHICKEN
INGREDIENTS FOR ONE BAG, I USUALLY MAKE 1-2 DEPENDING ON HOW MUCH CHICKEN I HAVE
• 1 medium onion sliced into small chunks(C)
• 2 Garlic cloves minced(C)
• 1/3 cup lemon juice(C)
• 1/3 cup Italian dressing(C)
• ½ cup chicken broth(C)
• 3 Chicken Breasts or 4 drumsticks(C)
• salt and pepper
1. Place veggies in bag
2. Combine broth, lemon juice, and Italian dressing, add to bag
3. Add chicken to bag
4. Freeze flat. Defrost in fridge. When ready, dump into crock pot and cook on low for 5-6 hours. If possible, try to arrange the chicken on top of the onions. Make sure the sauce coats everything, if not, you can add more broth. I like cutting up a lemon and adding it to the top of the mix, make sure to remove seeds and remove lemon slices before eating.
5. When done, remove chicken (and lemon slices); let chicken cool until easy to handle; remove meat from bone, shred, and place back into crock with broth and onions.
MAKE 2-3 BAGS DEPENDING ON THE AMOUNT OF VEGGIES/CHICKEN I HAVE
• 1 medium onion, sliced into small chunks(C)
• 3 carrots, chopped(C)
• 3 stalks celery chopped (C)
• 1 cups of water
• 3 cups of chicken broth (C)
• 1 tsp salt
• 1/4 tsp pepper
• 4 chicken drumsticks or 3 breasts (C)
• Herbs- rosemary & thyme, basil, salt
1. Veggies bag
2. Liquid in bag
3. Chicken in bag, season and salt
4. Freeze flat, thaw in fridge. When ready cook in crockpot on low for 5 – 6 hours.
5. Remove chicken; let chicken cool until easy to handle; remove meat from bone, shred, and place back into crock.
SHRIMP RED CURRY
I USUALLY JUST MAKE ONE BAG
• 1 medium onion chunked (C)
• 1 bell pepper chunked (C)
• 1-2 carrots, chopped(C)
• 1 sweet potato, peeled and chunked (C)
• 3 quarter sized slices of ginger
• 1 can full fat coconut milk (V)
• Splash of lime juice
• 1 Tbsp red curry paste (or more to taste) (V)
• 1 Tbsp coconut aminos (V)
• 1 tsp Red Boat fish sauce(V)
• Optional 1 cup of chicken broth
• Sometimes I also add 1 cup of pineapple, or 1 medium zucchini
• Frozen shrimp- no need to combine in freezer bag
1. Place veggies in bag
2. Pour coconut milk and solids into a bowl. Add lime juice, red curry paste, coconut aminos, fish sauce and mix well. Pour into bag.
3. Squish to mix and freeze flat
4. When ready to use thaw in fridge. If you feel like you want more liquid, add 1 cup of chicken broth. Cook in crockpot on low for 5-6 hours. Test sweet potatoes at 4 hours. If soft, add the frozen shrimp and stir in. Add the 1 cup of pineapples if you would like. You can also add zucchini at this point. Cook for the 10 minutes more.
5. Remove the ginger slices
Veggie Post coming soon…
Here are the casseroles I make. They are all Gluten Free and Vegetarian. Spaghetti Pie with TVP, Cream of Mushroom Broccoli/Rice/Chick’n Casserole and Hashbrown Pie.
I make 3 servings of pancakes for quick breakfasts. For the pancakes I use Pamelas All Purpose Baking and Pancake mix, I have found it to be the yummiest mix for pancakes. Also good for blueberry muffin cobbler (which also freezes well). Maybe I will post that one too. This mix is spenny, but it is the best mix for pancakes.
For the veggie stir fry and the fajitas, I add Beyond Meat’s fake chicken strips. For the GF burritos I use Udi’s gluten free tortillas. These tortillas are actually roll-able and won’t break or fall apart! I will post recipes soon!
And when I am done prepping, it’s time for a glass of wine!
Hope they turn out okay for you. I love leftovers, so this plan works out for me even though each bag is 4-5 servings. I just eat over 2-3 days and only have to prep once. That way hubs doesn’t have to deal with dead animals all over the kitchen more than once a month.
Happy cooking! And share recipes that work for you! I love having more recipes to draw from!